Upcoming Police & Firefighter Seminars:
Starts September 17, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada
“I have never left an LRIS seminar without actionable material and new knowledge.” John Rosser, Department of Corrections Labor Committee, Washington, DC
“Excellent class. This is a ‘must attend’ class for all labor relations teams. The material is extremely relevant and up to date.” Tommy Varebrook, Waukegan, Illinois Police Department.
Starts October 15, 2014 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great speakers, incredible knowledge with invaluable experience.” Tyler Blondi, Beverly Hills, California POA
Starts November 05, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada
“Presentation is well rounded and top notch. Presentations were supportive of both management and union. Best course on these topics I have seen in over 30 years.” Jim Barnes, City of Elgin, Illinois
“This is a great training opportunity. Very informative.” Kenneth Mitchell, Lake Havasu City, Arizona Police Officers Association.
First Thursday Podcast For September
Each month, Will Aitchison discusses recent news stories, legal decisions and economic developments that impact public safety employees and employers, union and management representatives, and attorneys involved with public safety labor and employment law.
Featured in this month’s podcast:
- The looming crisis in police recruitment
- Illinois post-retirement health insurance constitutionally protected – Kanerva v. Weems, 2014 IL 115811 (Ill. 2014)
- Philadelphia’s long-standing ban on police PAC contributions struck down – Lodge No. 5 of the Fraternal Order of Police v. City of Philadelphia, 2014 WL 4056694 (3rd Cir. 2014)
- California Bill of Rights limitations statute begins running before officer is identified – Pedro v. City of Los Angeles, 2014 WL 4181813 (Cal. App. 2014)
- LAPD officer wins $2.8 million in retaliation suit – Torres v. City of Los Angeles, 2014 WL 4235967 (Cal. App. 2014)
- Civilian employee loses ‘equal pay for equal work’ lawsuit – Viana v. Knight, 2014 WL 4101700 (M.D. Fla. 2014)
Download the podcast (Use this link to listen on Apple devices)
Subscribe to this podcast via RSS or iTunes
Subscribe to this podcast by email