Hillsboro Mayor Arrested After Picking Fight With Jefferson County Deputy, Police Say

HILLSBORO, MO — The mayor of this town was arrested Monday at a gas station parking lot after police say he picked a fight with a Jefferson County Sheriff’s deputy who once arrested his son.

About 2 p.m., the uniformed deputy walked into a gas station in High Ridge. When he walked out, Hillsboro Mayor Dennis Bradley, 65, confronted him by yelling expletives at him and challenging him to a physical confrontation, Capt. Gary Higginbotham said.

Bradley then followed the deputy to his patrol car while challenging the deputy to take off his badge and gun and poked the deputy in the chest. The deputy warned Bradley not to touch him again, and that if he did, he would be arrested, police said.

Bradley again poked the deputy, who then ordered Bradley to put his hands behind his back, police said. Bradley walked away and refused to comply, so the deputy used “soft control tactics” to handcuff him, police said.

Bradley continued to resist arrest, and at one point, grabbed and twisted the deputy’s hand. The deputy then used his pepper spray to subdue Bradley and he was arrested on suspicion of fourth-degree assault on a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest and stalking and harassing. Another deputy took Bradley to jail, where he was booked and released pending criminal charges.

After he was released, Bradley walked across the parking lot of the jail and was standing next to the deputy’s patrol car.

Bradley has a history of harassing the deputy, according to a petition for a restraining order that the deputy filed against him. A judge granted the order Tuesday.

In the petition, the deputy claims the mayor would follow him around the county while he was on duty and berate him while he tried to work. The deputy also claimed Bradley would pull up next to him at stoplights, make a vulgar gesture and mouth words at him, according to the petition.

The deputy arrested the mayor’s son on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in 2014.

Bradley did not respond to a phone call seeking comment but told The Leader newspaper that the Board of Aldermen had voted in closed session to hire an attorney to determine whether they can have him removed from office. He was elected in April.

He also denied the allegations, saying the deputy was the aggressor and had shown up at the same places he frequents over the years, according to The Leader.

From The St. Louis Dispatch

More from The Latest News.