THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2024
9:00 The Nuts & Bolts Of Bargaining, Bargaining Strategies, And Media Relations
A thorough discussion of the mechanics of collective bargaining.
- Preparing and maintaining a bargaining strategy.
- Keeping a contract notebook.
- Preparing for the meet-and-confer process.
- The composition of the bargaining team and the roles played by different bargaining team members.
- Selecting comparable jurisdictions and total compensation analysis, including cost of living, workload and productivity, local labor markets, cross-classification analysis, and other topics which are raised in an assessment of wages and benefits.
- How one goes about proving bargaining history.
- The significance of a tentative agreement.
- The different types of bargaining concessions that are occurring, including furloughs, retirement adjustments, wage freezes and reductions, and health insurance changes.
- Non-economic benefits in exchange for economic concessions. Is the traditional structure still in place?
- Dealing with constituencies – union members and elected officials – during difficult economic times.
- The increased focus on politics and media relations, and the implications of getting the public involved in the bargaining discussion.
Jonathan Downes, Attorney at Law, Zashin & Rich.
Anil Karia, Attorney at Law, Public Safety Labor Group, LLP;
Assistant Executive Director, LRIS.
12:00 Lunch (Included in registration)
1:00 The Nuts & Bolts Of Bargaining (continued)