A thorough review of the types of police reform legislation enacted in 2020. Drawing from police reform measures in California, Colorado, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Iowa, Minnesota, New York, Nevada, Oregon, and other states, the webinar will cover (among other things):
- Attacks on “qualified immunity.”
- Making officers personally liable for damages in civil rights cases.
- Mandatory bodycams.
- Use of force restrictions, including limitations or bans on tear gas and different holds, requirements for de-escalation and intervention, and attacks on Graham v. Connor’s reasonableness standard.
- New criminal penalties and mandatory decertification of officers.
- Restrictions on binding arbitration.
Presented by Will Aitchison.